Friday, February 4, 2011

Sure To Get A Side-Eye

I had my 39 week check-up yesterday and after the obligatory weight, blood pressure and violation of my lady bits, my doctor confirmed what I had already suspected—that my child was never, ever coming out of my body.  Really, she told me that for the 3rd week in a row; my body had made no progress in terms of dilation or effacement.  The baby was high and I was closed up like Fort Knox—wonderful image I just left you with, wasn’t it? 
So at this point, I knew we were going to have “the talk” and I was prepared.  She mentioned again that I was not progressing at all and though I could go into labor on my own, it was time to discuss the options of induction and C-section.  She and I talked for a bit about our options and what Ryan and I wanted out of the delivery experience. 
Ryan and I had discussed this subject many, many times and had always come back to the same conclusion—if we had a choice between an induction and a C-section, we would choose the C-section.  And that’s what we decided.  Emmett will be born around 1 p.m. on his due date of 2/10/11 via C-section.  This statement has gotten me no less than 15 side-eyes and looks of surprise from various people.  We’ve been bombarded with “Is the baby okay?  Why a C-section?” questions from just about everyone.   I think a lot of people (especially those from an older generation) automatically think that induction is the way you have to go, because that’s how things were done 15 years ago.  C-sections were emergency options only and they were a last resort.    
Now, I understand that a C-section will be no picnic on my body.  And if Emmett decides he wants to grace us with his presence earlier than our planned date, I will be ecstatic and will welcome the labor.  But induction is not a choice for us, simply because we believe that it is used to “trick” your body into thinking it’s time to deliver and places stress on a baby that’s probably not ready to enter the world at that time, via the birth canal.  Also, many inductions, particularly on mothers who are less than 4cm dilated (on their own) end up in C-sections anyway.    
Again, these are the first of MANY choices we get to make as parents, and we feel like these are the right ones for us.  May not be your cup of tea, but it’s not your vagina or body we’re talking about here, is it? J


Edited:  So after Ryan read this post, he mentioned that a male co-worker today tried to get him to "talk me out of a C-section" and how he (co-worker) believes it's way worse than an induction.  Now I'm pissed.  Excuse me, sir, but when you grow a vagina and carry a human being in your uterus for 9 months, then we can talk about how you really feel about the subject.  That is just one of those things you don't say to a pregnant woman.  Right behind "Are you having twins?" and "You look like you're ready to pop". 

No comments:

Post a Comment

People that are interested in all the gory details of pregnancy and motherhood